Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 193 , Jan 26, 2013
      Desire to Be Desire-less

      "Someone once asked me: `Swamiji, isn't it a desire
      to be desire-less?' It is, but what is your desire?
      To become desire-less? If your desire is to become
      desire-less, you need at least one desire! Because
      only with a desire can we get rid of other desires.
      But select one desire that will remove all other
      desires and will go off by itself later on. If you
      wash your clothes with soap, you're in essence applying
      new-smelling dirt to remove the old, bad-smelling dirt.
      Then, once you put the clothes in water and rinse them,
      what happens? The old dirt goes and do you think the
      new dirt remains? No. That also goes. So, we call to
      one desire: `Come here, you seem to be a good desire.
      Come and play with the rest of my desires, take them out
      with you and you go too.' Then, you'll be desire-less.

      "God bless you. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti."

      Get the first Integral Yoga app for iPhone and iPad,
      available on iTunes.
      Search for The Daily Guru.
      Message 193 of 193 , Dec 25, 2014

        Question: I have a growing desire to see God. It has become the thing I want most. But no matter how much I long for Him, my worldly duties and needs get in the way. Can you help me?

        Sri Swami Satchidananda: How do you know that you have not seen Him? I heard Him saying, "I have been in front of this person so many times, but he never even recognized Me. He was calling, calling, calling for Me. So I went there many times, stood right in front of him, and he didn't even bother to look at Me. He just brushed Me aside and kept on saying, 'God, where are You? Where are You?'"

        Before you look for God, you should know what He looks like, or at least what God is. God has no particular form, but He appears in all forms and names. It is with His consciousness that I am saying all these things; and with His consciousness, you are listening. To simplify it, we say that God is all consciousness - superconsciousness, cosmic consciousness - or peace. God is already there in you as peace, but you disturb your peace by searching for God. Stop searching and disturbing your peace, and you will experience God. A disturbed mind can never understand God. Looking for God is not our first and foremost duty. Our first and foremost duty is to take care not to let the mind lose its peace. You don't have to make the mind peaceful. If you leave it alone, it is peaceful. In our own lives we should see that we don't lose our peace due to our thoughts, words, actions.

        Learn to remain undisturbed, unshakeable, as steady as the Rock of Gibraltar. You should treasure the peace of your mind so much that nothing, nothing, nothing would shake you. You should be ready to renounce anything and everything that is going to disturb your peace. Name, fame, money, power, position, relatives, friends - all should be secondary to maintaining your peace. Everything else is nothing compared to peace of mind. With that peace, you will easily see God.

        Om shant. Om shanti. Om shanti.