UTOPIA

  • walto
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2013
      Island where all becomes clear.

      Solid ground beneath your feet.

      The only roads are those that offer access.

      Bushes bend beneath the weight of proofs.

      The Tree of Valid Supposition grows here
      with branches disentangled since time immemorial.

      The Tree of Understanding, dazzlingly straight and simple,
      sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It.

      The thicker the woods, the vaster the vista:
      the Valley of Obviously.

      If any doubts arise, the wind dispels them instantly.

      Echoes stir unsummoned
      and eagerly explain all the secrets of the worlds.

      On the right a cave where Meaning lies.

      On the left the Lake of Deep Conviction.
      Truth breaks from the bottom and bobs to the surface.

      Unshakable Confidence towers over the valley.
      Its peak offers an excellent view of the Essence of Things.

      For all its charms, the island is uninhabited,
      and the faint footprints scattered on its beaches
      turn without exception to the sea.

      As if all you can do here is leave
      and plunge, never to return, into the depths.

      Into unfathomable life.

      By Wislawa Szymborska
      From "A large number", 1976
      Translated by S. Baranczak & C. Cavanagh
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 25, 2013
        Thanks for pointing to this great poet.
        I could never "get" poetry before, and now,
        as this work of wisdom lead me to check out
        more of her work, I'm enjoying poetry very
        much. Maybe it's just that I've grown up,
        or something like that, but I think her
        clarity enabled me to see through the clouds
        of non-understanding I had had. Her work is
        a very nice "in the moment" experience!
        Much appreciated!