Words of Wisdom by Richard Rose

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2013
      List of Obstacles

      Of External Nature:
      Visible, terrestial life and planetary relationships.
      Invisible, or dimensions beyond our senses.

      Of Internal Nature:
      The appetites:
      Sex
      Security
      Food
      Pleasures other than sex
      Curiosity

      The Fears:
      Fear of dying
      Fear of scorn or social harm
      Fear of mental or spiritual harm
      The Blocks:
      The seven deadly sins:
      Pride
      Covetousness
      Lust
      Hatred
      Anger
      Envy
      Sloth
      The six catches:
      The think-talk syndrome
      The starry-eyed syndrome
      The False-Messiah Syndrome
      The personal salvation syndrome
      The Sunday-go-to-meeting syndrome
      The hunt-the-guru syndrome

      Physical limitations
      Economic exigencies

      Forms of Rationalization:
      That we will be able to do the thing better
      at a later date. Procrastination.
      That we will ride the tide of humanity into heaven.
      That social services or "good works" have spiritual gain.
      That the gods have ears. Salvation through prayers.
      That the gods have noses and eyes. Incense and displays.
      That positive thinking will make gods of us or lead us
      to liberation.
      That the guru will save us.
      That faith will save us.
      That spiritual paths may be evaluated by their popularity.
      That we can "feel" our way alone. Intuition alone.
      That we can do it with our omnipotent reason.
      That God, (or Mr. X) will take care of everything.
      This is a variation of the "Knight on the white horse" rationalization.
      That our present belief shall be our final evaluation of Truth.
      That everything is hopeless or useless.

      Richard Rose (no biological relation to Bob Rose)
      permission from the copyright owner.