Words of Wisdom by Nisargadatta Maharaj

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2013
      "To know what you are you must first investigate
      and know what you are not. And to know what you
      are not, you must watch yourself carefully, rejecting
      all that does not necessarily go with basic fact
      `I am'. The ideas: I am born at a given place, at a
      given time, from my parents and now I am so-and-so,
      living at, married to, father of, employed by, and
      so on, are not inherent in the sense `I am'. Our usual
      attitude is `I am this' or `that'. Separate consistently
      and perseveringly the `I am' from `this' or `that' and
      try to feel what it means to be, just to `be', without
      being `this' or `that'. All our habits go against it
      and the task of fighting them is long and hard sometimes,
      but clear understanding helps a lot. The clearer you
      understand that on the level of the mind you can be
      described in negative terms only the quicker you will
      come to the end of your search and realize your limitless being."