Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 200 , Jan 12, 2013
      Spiritual Experience

      "What is spiritual experience? I can try to describe it,
      but it's something to be experienced. Imagine if I told you:
      `Go to such and such shop, give so much money, ask for this
      particular fruit. The shape will be like this, it will smell
      something like this, remove the skin, remove the seed,
      in between you have the fleshy part. Put it in the mouth,
      then you will know how tasty it is.' That is all I can say.
      If you tell me, `Oh, I can't just believe you unless you show
      me how the taste is. I can't take the trouble of going to the
      shop and buying it and cutting and everything. Unless you show
      me the taste, I won't try that.' But, unless you try the fruit,
      you won't understand the taste.

      "God bless you. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti."

      Inspiration Line

      Hear an inspiration message from Sri Swami Satchidananda
      by calling 434-WOW-GURU. New and improved software brings
      an even better sound quality and more reliable system.
      New message the first of each month. Call and be inspired
      any time and from anywhere you are.
      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9 5:26 PM
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.