Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 200 , Dec 22, 2012
      A Good Yogi

      "We all need Self-knowledge and, with that knowledge,
      we can make the best use of the mind and the senses,
      as well as all the talents and capabilities we've been
      given. First, know who you are: Who is the one who has
      gifts and talents? Know that first, and then you can
      feel that you have these gifts and you want to maintain
      them. First understand yourself: I am somebody, I have
      been given these gifts and I am enjoying them. I am not
      those things out there. I am separate; I am the owner
      of these things. That feeling should be there. Apply this
      to the mind too: I am the owner of the mind, I am not the
      mind. Sometimes the mind is playful, sometimes it's happy,
      sometimes it's unhappy. It's my mind that is happy or
      unhappy, not me. I'm different from the mind.

      "God bless you. OM Shanti, Shanti, Shanti.

      nspiration Line

      Hear an inspiration message from Sri Swami Satchidananda
      by calling 434-WOW-GURU. New and improved software brings
      an even better sound quality and more reliable system.
      New message the first of each month. Call and be inspired
      any time and from anywhere you are.
      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9 5:26 PM
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.