Re: Getting started

  • krishna
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 16, 2012
      Hi,

      I am very new to this group and would like to share my views based on my past knowledge and experiences. First of all i would like to mention that Meditation is very different from Concentrating. I feel that various technique which our friends mentioned here are a way to concentrate and not meditation. Of course concentrating is a step towards Meditation. It was very well said by Lille that meditation is just as yoga. In fact I would say both are same- which is a process for the unification of soul with God. But this occurs at a very later stage so there is need for concentration or we can say the very first step towards Yoga.

      Various techniques say it be TM Technique, Dr. Wayne's technique or controlled breathing provides only a short span of concentration which works only for the time we are doing these practices but does not give us long time improvement to our concentration. I am practicing a very ancient technique mentioned in the earliest scriptures Vedas called Vihangam Yoga. In this technique I just meditate for 10 minutes morning and evening on a certain specified point on our body. On practicing this, we can see the difference within few weeks. I have been doing this technique since my childhood and has transformed my life drastically than it was before. The very speciality of Vihangam Yoga is that it is divided in 5 stages and first three stages is completely devoted for the purification of the mind. I can talk more on this but it would be good that you look sometime for your self on internet about this technique and come with more question.

      Rest, i will pray to the lord that he enlightens your path with the right meditation technique.

      All the Best,

      krishna

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, lindamdc <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > I am new to meditation, too. It is my experience that meditation is a practice just as yoga is a practice. It comes by practicing and doing it regularly. There are no quick and easy "tricks". For me, it is all about enjoying the journey and learning what resonates with me. Each meditation is different.
      >
      > I find it best to sit quietly and I listen to Dr. Wayne Dyer's "I Am Meditation" (but any meditation is fine). I then sit quietly with my eyes shut and clear my chakras. Then I ask myself: "What do I need to know?" If my mind gets cluttered with dialogue, I gently thank it and refocus on my breathing. In through the nose...out through the mouth breathing from the belly.
      >
      > I have found that I can go to my local library and there are guided meditations I can borrow and also New Age music I can use.
      >
      > Also, if you google "Om Meditation" youtube has different Om Meditations for different lengths of time. I have found these very helpful.
      >
      > I have wondered about TM and have heard that it is very over rated and expensive. But I do not have any direct experience. If you have a friend that knows about TM maybe that would be helpful. I would be curious to know what techniques your friends teaches in relation to TM.
      >
      > Hope this was helpful and good luck with your meditation practice.
      >
      > Lille
      >
      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "douglasedarling" <douglasedarling@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I would greatly appreciate advice on getting off on right foot in this meditation stuff. I have been to one lecture where the primary aim was to pick my pocket. A friend who is a yoga instructor has offered to work with me on initial TM techniques. What to do, what to do? DD

    • Douglas Darling
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 16, 2012
        Virginia Piedmont 45 miles West/South of DC. DD

        On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Michele Mitchell <mcmitch05@...> wrote:

        Have you thought about a class? What area do you live in?

        From: "douglasedarling" <douglasedarling@...>
        Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 12:40:54 -0000
        Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Getting started

        --
        Douglas E. Darling
        Warrenton, VA 20186

        This Communication is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient or the employee of agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination or copying of this E‑mail is strictly prohibited. In case of failed or interrupted transmission, or if you have received this in error, please call (540) 270-9239. Also, please notify the sender that you have received this email communication in error. Thank you.
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 17, 2012
          Yo Douglas,
          I agree about TM being needlessly costly economically,
          but have no doubt it can be beneficial in many other ways.
          I know they may be in another part of Virginia, but I suggest
          considering checking out one of the certified Integral Yoga
          teachers for meditation lessons. The VA ones can be found here:

          http://iyta.org/teachers-directory/?search-context=STATE&search-term=VA&submit=go

          I may not be able to direct you to a specific teacher, but I do
          know that they were taught meditation as shared by one of the
          greatest meditation masters ever - Swami Satchidananda, whose
          Words of Wisdom have been posted here many times.

          Similarly, my wife and I have been to Yogaville many times
          and every time it has exceeded our expectations, and know
          first hand that the experiences we had there are beneficial
          and ever-after available to everyone who actually uses them.
          BTW, Yogaville itself is one of the most serene and beautiful
          places anywhere. There is no cult-like or religious obligation
          type pressure....just a sharing of wisdom as was taught by
          Swami Satchidananda. It would be well worth your going there
          for a class or perhaps a Saturday night Satsang.

          In any event, I wish you well in you quest to fill with meditative
          knowledge. It's the best thing you can do for your Self.