Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
      Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
      meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
      for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
      this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
      Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
      http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
      There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
      about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
      destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
      these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
      evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
      Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
      the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
      "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
      and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
      someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
      their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
      control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
      how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
      So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
      BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
      http://www.bobroseknives.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
        Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
        the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
        accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
        Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
        people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
        be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
        reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
        other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
        small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

        In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
        discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
        mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
        perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
        like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
        meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
        "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

        I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
        words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
        there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
        in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
        just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
        As Gurdjieff put it...
        "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
        harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

        (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
        forum)