Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Dec 8, 2012
      The Cosmic Vibration

      "One kind of meditation is to meditate on a
      universal sound, like `OM' or `Amen,' because
      it's that cosmic sound which will be heard
      ultimately through your deep meditation.
      OM or Amen are both the same, just a little
      differently presented; they both symbolize
      the sacred cosmic vibration. That cosmic sound
      is to be heard within you. It's not that you
      have to repeat it constantly, but you begin
      with the repetition so that ultimately you'll
      hear that sound within. So, sit quietly, watch
      the breath for a while, then repeat a little
      prayer if you want. Otherwise just go on and
      repeat the OM or Amen. The more you repeat that,
      the more you produce that vibration within you.

      Inspiration Line

      Hear an inspiration message from Sri Swami Satchidananda
      by calling 434-WOW-GURU. New and improved software brings
      an even better sound quality and more reliable system.
      New message the first of each month. Call and be inspired
      any time and from anywhere you are.
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda