Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 197 , Dec 1, 2012
      Shine More

      "The same spirit is in everybody. The same current
      runs through everyone. But it's the bulb with the
      bigger filament that takes more current because of
      its construction; by consuming more current, it gives
      off more light. The illumination is measured according
      to the size of the bulb, but the current is the same.
      The divine current is common; it is not partial. It is
      given to one and all: a sinner or a saint, a yogi or a
      non-yogi. It is everybody's birthright. So, if you
      broaden your mind, you become a bigger bulb and you
      have a longer filament. Then you are able to attract
      more current to give out more light. It's not because
      the bulb is greater that the current wants to flow in more.
      The current has no decision like that. It's up to you — if
      you have a broad mind, purity of the mind, you draw more
      of the divine current and shine more.

      MAKE THE CALL:

      Hear monthly messages from Sri Swami Satchidananda on the
      Inspiration Line (434-WOW-GURU).
      Message 197 of 197 , Today at 6:01 AM

        NOTHING LESS THAN THAT

        Just be happy, have fun, enjoy life and don't get caught. When I say, "don't get caught," I am not talking about someone else catching you. I am talking about your own mind. Choose the kind of fun that won't bind you. If a certain kind of fun will bring you unhappiness later on, then it's not fun at all. Our goal is unending joy.

        Sometimes people think that to be a spiritual seeker or a good, religious person means being always very serious. They think that such a person can't have fun, can't laugh. That is no kind of life. Life means being always joyful, always happy, jubilant. Every minute should be a celebration. Every minute should be a festivity. That is possible only if you keep your mind in good shape and don't allow it to get into mischief.

        Be conscious of all your actions. Before you do anything, question yourself: "What am I doing it for? To be happy, to have fun. Okay, will it be fun always or will it only be fun for a little while and then start creating problems? Will anyone be hurt by it? How long can I be happy? Will there be an end? What is the price I have to pay?" After all this analysis, if your answer is, "Yes. I will always be happy. It will never bind or bother me," then go ahead.

        Remember, our intention is to enjoy life, to be happy always-nothing less than that.

        Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi