Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 193 , Dec 1, 2012
      Shine More

      "The same spirit is in everybody. The same current
      runs through everyone. But it's the bulb with the
      bigger filament that takes more current because of
      its construction; by consuming more current, it gives
      off more light. The illumination is measured according
      to the size of the bulb, but the current is the same.
      The divine current is common; it is not partial. It is
      given to one and all: a sinner or a saint, a yogi or a
      non-yogi. It is everybody's birthright. So, if you
      broaden your mind, you become a bigger bulb and you
      have a longer filament. Then you are able to attract
      more current to give out more light. It's not because
      the bulb is greater that the current wants to flow in more.
      The current has no decision like that. It's up to you — if
      you have a broad mind, purity of the mind, you draw more
      of the divine current and shine more.

      MAKE THE CALL:

      Hear monthly messages from Sri Swami Satchidananda on the
      Inspiration Line (434-WOW-GURU).
      Message 193 of 193 , Dec 25, 2014

        Question: I have a growing desire to see God. It has become the thing I want most. But no matter how much I long for Him, my worldly duties and needs get in the way. Can you help me?

        Sri Swami Satchidananda: How do you know that you have not seen Him? I heard Him saying, "I have been in front of this person so many times, but he never even recognized Me. He was calling, calling, calling for Me. So I went there many times, stood right in front of him, and he didn't even bother to look at Me. He just brushed Me aside and kept on saying, 'God, where are You? Where are You?'"

        Before you look for God, you should know what He looks like, or at least what God is. God has no particular form, but He appears in all forms and names. It is with His consciousness that I am saying all these things; and with His consciousness, you are listening. To simplify it, we say that God is all consciousness - superconsciousness, cosmic consciousness - or peace. God is already there in you as peace, but you disturb your peace by searching for God. Stop searching and disturbing your peace, and you will experience God. A disturbed mind can never understand God. Looking for God is not our first and foremost duty. Our first and foremost duty is to take care not to let the mind lose its peace. You don't have to make the mind peaceful. If you leave it alone, it is peaceful. In our own lives we should see that we don't lose our peace due to our thoughts, words, actions.

        Learn to remain undisturbed, unshakeable, as steady as the Rock of Gibraltar. You should treasure the peace of your mind so much that nothing, nothing, nothing would shake you. You should be ready to renounce anything and everything that is going to disturb your peace. Name, fame, money, power, position, relatives, friends - all should be secondary to maintaining your peace. Everything else is nothing compared to peace of mind. With that peace, you will easily see God.

        Om shant. Om shanti. Om shanti.