Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Nov 24, 2012
      The Secret of Life

      "Do you want to know the secret of life? It is very simple.
      Play your part well. But, don't identify with that part.
      How? Remember who you are. You have a role to play in life.
      So act well but, at the same time, do not forget that you
      are acting. Then you are always safe. If you forget one side
      you are in danger. If you forget the spiritual side and think
      that you are a completely worldly person, there's danger that
      you'll be lost in maya (illusion). If you think that you are
      completely spiritual and forget the world, then there is danger.
      People everywhere will say you are madcap, crazy. So, remember
      this and be in the world but not of the world.

      Join Satchidananda Ashram's Satsang every Saturday evening

      and share the archive with friends.

      7:30pm Eastern, with Livestream

      new.livestream.com/yogaville
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda