Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Nov 17, 2012
      The Purpose of Practice

      "The purpose of all our spiritual practices is to
      slowly make the mind thinner and thinner and thinner.
      In order for the mind to get thinner, we should
      understand why it gets thickened. The mind is thickened
      by the thoughts, by the desires. The more thoughts
      in the mind, means the bigger and thicker the mind.
      When the thoughts and desires are reduced little by
      little, then the mind becomes thinner and thinner.
      And in a thoughtless condition, the mind is almost nil.
      Think of a piece of cloth. Because the threads are
      arranged in a particular way, you call it cloth.
      If you slowly pull off the threads, what happens to
      the cloth? It vanishes. So, this is how meditation
      and other Yoga practices help us to transcend the mind.

      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda