Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Nov 10, 2012
      The Sun is Neutral

      "The sun shines without any like or dislike. Some people
      make use of the sun's light for their own good use; some
      people make use of it for bad purposes. With the help of
      the same sunlight any person can do any act, good or bad.
      If you make a good act using the sunlight and if you do
      something bad using the same sunlight, the blame will not
      go to the sun because it's neutral, just as anything is
      in nature and just as is God. God is nature and is neutral,
      without likes, dislikes or desires. So, it is up to us how
      we make use of what God has given to us. According to our
      mental purity, we take in the pure side, we make use of it
      for a better purpose. If we make use of it for a better
      purpose, we are benefited. If we use it for a wrong purpose,
      we are bound by that and, probably later, suffering comes.

      For much more by and about Swamiji:
      http://www.swamisatchidananda.org/
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda