Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 200 , Nov 10, 2012
      The Sun is Neutral

      "The sun shines without any like or dislike. Some people
      make use of the sun's light for their own good use; some
      people make use of it for bad purposes. With the help of
      the same sunlight any person can do any act, good or bad.
      If you make a good act using the sunlight and if you do
      something bad using the same sunlight, the blame will not
      go to the sun because it's neutral, just as anything is
      in nature and just as is God. God is nature and is neutral,
      without likes, dislikes or desires. So, it is up to us how
      we make use of what God has given to us. According to our
      mental purity, we take in the pure side, we make use of it
      for a better purpose. If we make use of it for a better
      purpose, we are benefited. If we use it for a wrong purpose,
      we are bound by that and, probably later, suffering comes.

      For much more by and about Swamiji:
      http://www.swamisatchidananda.org/
      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9 5:26 PM
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.