Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Nov 3, 2012
      Love Thy Neighbor

      "Once you realize the Self in you, then you become
      the master of your own body and mind. With that
      realization of the Self, you can see the very same
      Self in others. It's only then that you can have
      universal love and that you can love everybody as
      your own Self. Only then will it be possible for us
      to follow this command: `Love thy neighbor as thy own Self.'
      Otherwise, how are we going to see our own Self in our
      neighbor? To see our own Self in the neighbor, we should
      know what our Self is first. So first know thyself, then
      see the same Self in your neighbor and then love the neighbor
      as your own Self. Gradually the practice of Yoga leads us
      to this Self-knowledge.

      Follow Swami Satchidananda on Twitter at
      twitter.com/SwSatchidananda for daily inspiration.
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda