It took 10 years to do this meditation technique

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2012
      Just had a conversation with a young lady who had attended
      many of our classes over several years. She tried many
      different techniques over the years and reported that she
      finally "completed" this one after a decade of trying.
      She reports she actually "hadn't tried at all" and it just
      sort of came to her as she sat back and watched her mind do
      the work and her "Witness witnessed it". Her suggestion is
      to try it and see how well you do. She reports that this was
      one of the most "informative" techniques she has ever done.
      Enjoy!

      108 – An Easy Hard Meditation Technique

      Anything in life that brings you closer to inner peace can
      be said to be "good". Anything that takes your peace away
      is "bad". Of course, it is a given that anything that only
      brings you momentary peace, like drugs, is not "good". To
      really qualify, the peace must be everlasting. Very often,
      good, and thus peace, doesn't come easily. For instance,
      politically and historically, it has often taken a war to
      bring about a lasting peace between enemies. An example of
      this can be found in the relationships between America, Japan, Russia, and Germany. Deadly enemies during World War II, and
      now close partners involved in mutual progress and at peace.

      Within ourselves there is a similar inner world war-like
      interaction going on between the mind, body, and emotions
      that prevents us from knowing real peace. As the events in
      our life take place, we react mentally, physically, and
      emotionally, sometimes more one way and at other times more
      in another. This slave-like reactivity makes our life seem
      out of control, bouncing back and forth between joy and sorrow,
      and without lasting peace. This anxiety and conflict filled
      state can be witnessed by an inner awareness that is our Real
      Self. This Witness to our life has always been there/here,
      silent, non-labeling, non-commenting, non-judging, and is
      present now. As you are reading these words, your Witness is
      aware of your mind's mentations, your body's sensations, and
      your emotion's feelings. If your inner chattering stops rambling
      on, you can sit back in your mind's eye and Witness your
      body/ego's reactions. It is at a moment when this occurs that
      what has been called your higher intuitive center kicks in and
      you will know, with a gut feeling, just what to do. You will
      then be able to witness your mind, body, and emotions act, and
      either cease the reactivity that has taken away your peace, or
      start to do that which will bring about peace in your life. For instance, you may have been banging your head against the wall
      for years, even though this caused you to suffer terribly. Your friends may have told you countless times that your life would
      be more peaceful if you would just stop doing this foolish
      activity. But, you never listened, or perhaps justified it as
      worth continuing with for some silly and illogical reason such
      as that it felt so good when you stopped. Witness yourself now.
      Did you just see yourself laugh, or react in a "Yep! That's me!" embarrassment? Did your mind get angry and defensive and deny
      that this concept could not apply to you? Are you witnessing now?
      And now?

      Just as it is unlikely that you would continue to keep banging
      your head against the wall once you really recognized that you
      were doing it, once you witness yourself reacting to life's
      events inappropriately (in a way that steals your peace away
      from you), you will stop doing it and thus allow peace to fill
      and stay with you. The 108 Meditation technique is one of the
      best at letting you witness your mind's activity.

      108 – An Easy Hard Meditation Technique

      Relax yourself in the way you have found best prepares you for meditating. Focus your attention on your breath. Observe and feel
      air come into the body, stay, and leave the body. Silently say
      "One". Do it again and say "two". On and on up to 108. This seems
      to be very easy to do, but don't be surprised, when you first
      try this inner exercise, if you can't concentrate well enough
      to get all the way up to 108 without being distracted by your thoughts, physical sensations, or emotions. Your mind has been
      your master and you have been it's slave your whole life, and
      it's not going to let you be in charge without giving you a very
      hard battle for control. Your mind has caused you to fritter away your most of your life rehashing the past and fantasizing about
      the future and will rebel if you try to live and control your life
      as it takes place.

      Your breath always occurs in the present moment. Thus, if you
      are paying attention to your breath, you have the potential of experiencing reality, for it too can only occur now, in the
      present. Inner peace is not something for the past or the future.
      It is available and present now. We just must stop being distracted from it. When we do this technique, and we watch our mind take
      us away from the object of our meditation, our breath, we must
      not scold ourselves. If we see that we are concentrating very
      well, we must not get too overjoyed. Both extremes are distractions. What is especially wonderful about this technique is that you
      can become aware of what causes your distraction as well as what happens as a result of your distraction. For instance, you may
      find that if you try to do this with your eyes open, something
      may catch your eye and you will start thinking about it. But,
      this is not necessarily "bad" because you may then have learned
      that it is easier to do this technique with your eyes shut and
      that this does bring more peace into your life. So, in a way, you
      may gain greater insight from "failing" at maintaining your concentration than from paying attention.

      Another benefit that this method gives us is that we can gauge
      our progress over time. For instance, when you first try it, you
      may only get up to the number 12 before your mind's chattering,
      or your body's twitching, or your emotion's swings distract you. Then, perhaps a week later, you may find that you are able to maintain your attention up to 48. A 400% improvement!

      Eventually, you will be able to silently witness your mind
      obediently accomplishing the task you have assigned it and you
      will get to 108 successfully. It will be then that you can be considered the master, and your mind, body, and emotions, the
      slaves. They then can be used as valuable tools that will help
      you attain the consistent inner peace that you have been seeking. Easily!

      Perhaps the greatest asset this technique offers is that you
      will become more and more aware of, and start identifying with,
      the Witness within – the pure, blissful, serene consciousness
      that is your Real Self. You will then need no tools, techniques,
      or concepts, and will live happily ever after.