Features of a Mystical Experience.

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2012
      The three pillars of self, time, and space all undergo
      profound transfiguration in a mystical experience.
      There no longer is any separation between the self and
      what is not the self.Personal identity and all of existence
      become one and the same. In fact, there is no "personal"
      identity because we understand at the most basic level
      the underlying unity and interdependence of all existence.

      Past, present, and future merge together into a timeless
      moment, the now of eternity. Time stops, in as much as it
      no longer "passes." There is existence, but it is not
      dependent upon time. Now and then, before and after,
      all combine into this exact point. On the relative level, short
      periods of time encompass enormous amounts of experience.

      As our self and time lose their boundaries, space becomes
      vast. Like time, space is no longer here or there but
      everywhere, limitless, without edges. Here and there are
      the same. It is all here.

      In this infinitely vast time and space with no limited self,
      we hold up to examination all contradictions and paradoxes
      and see they no longer conflict. We can hold, absorb, and
      accept everything our mind conjures up: good and evil,
      suffering and happiness, small and large. We now are certain
      that consciousness continues after the body dies, and that
      it existed long before this particular physical form. We see
      the entire universe in a blade of grass and know what our
      face was like before our parents met.

      Extraordinarily powerful feelings surge through our consciousness.
      We are ecstatic, and the intensity of this joy is such that
      our body cannot contain it - it seems to need a temporarily disembodied state. While the bliss is pervasive, there's also an underlying peace and equanimity that's not affected by even this incredibly profound happiness.

      There is a searing sense of the sacred and the holy. We contact
      an unchanging, unborn, undying, and uncreated reality. It is a personal encounter with the "Big Bang," God, Cosmic Consciousness, the source of all being. Whatever we call it, we know we have
      met the fundamental bedrock and fountainhead of existence, one
      that emanates love, wisdom, and power on an unimaginable scale.

      We call it "enlightenment" because we encounter the white
      light of creation's majesty. We may meet guides, angels, or
      other disembodied spirits, but we pass them all as we merge
      with the light. Our eyes now, finally, are truly open, and we
      see things clearly in a "new light."

      The import and momentousness of the experience stands alone
      in our history. It may serve to focus the rest of our life
      toward the completion, filling out, and working through of the insights obtained.