Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Oct 13, 2012
      Peace Begins at Home

      “Peace should be found within oneself first.
      If you don’t have peace within yourself, you
      can’t find peace outside. Set the person right,
      and the world becomes all right. First you
      should have peace within yourself in order to
      see the peace outside. There’s a proverb:
      ‘Charity begins at home.’ Not only charity
      begins at home, but peace begins at home too.
      In the same way, hatred begins at home. Everything
      is in the mind, so by changing the mind we can easily
      change the world outside.

      “God bless you. OM Shanti, Shanti, Shanti.”

      Follow Swami Satchidananda on Twitter at
      twitter.com/SwSatchidananda for daily inspiration.
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda