Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Oct 6, 2012
      The Cosmic Sound

      "When we stop disturbing the cosmic sound—by breaking
      the cosmic sound into many other words and other
      sounds—we can hear that cosmic sound within us. That's
      possible only when you tune your mind to a particular
      wave by stopping all other waves. That is what you call
      transcending the mind. The mind is to be made completely
      still. When the mind is stilled you can say that you have
      transcended the mind. In other words, the very same mind
      becomes your very soul. The moment it starts moving it
      gets the name, `mind.' Each wave gets the name, `thought.'
      Attune your mind to the cosmic sound, the cosmic vibration
      and then you will transcend.

      MAKE THE CALL:

      Hear monthly messages from Sri Swami Satchidananda on
      the Inspiration Line (434-WOW-GURU).
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda