Bernadette Roberts on the Path of Suffering

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2012
      Paradoxical though it may seem, the passage through
      consciousness or self moves contrary to self, rubs it
      the wrong way - and in the end, will even rub it out.
      Because this passage goes against the grain of self,
      it is, therefore, a path of suffering. Both Christ and
      Buddha saw the passage as one of suffering, and basically
      found identical ways out. What they discovered and revealed
      to us was that each of us has within himself or herself a "stillpoint" - comparable, perhaps to the eye of a cyclone,
      a spot or center of calm, imperturbability, and non-movement.
      Buddha articulated this central eye in negative terms as
      "emptiness" or "void", a refuge from the swirling cyclone
      of endless suffering. Christ articulated the eye in more
      positive terms as the "Kingdom of God" or the "Spirit within",
      a place of refuge and salvation from a suffering self.

      For both of them, the easy out was first to find that
      stillpoint and then, by attaching ourselves to it, by
      becoming one with it, to find a stabilizing, balanced
      anchor in our lives. After that, the cyclone is gradually
      drawn into the eye, and the suffering self comes to an end.
      And when there is no longer a cyclone, there is also no
      longer an eye. So the storms, crises, and sufferings of
      life are a way of finding the eye. When everything is going
      our way, we do not see the eye, and we feel no need to find
      it. But when everything is going against us, then we find
      the eye. So the avoidance of suffering and the desire to have everything go our own way runs contrary to the whole movement
      of our journey; it is all a wrong view. With the right view,
      however, one should be able to come to the state of oneness
      in six or seven years - years not merely of suffering, but
      years of enlightenment, for right suffering is the essence of enlightenment. Because self is everyone's experience underlying
      all culture. I do not regard cultural wrong views as an excuse
      for not searching out right views. After all, each person's
      passage is his or her own; there is no such thing as a
      collective passage.
      permission from the copyright owner.