Becoming Well Balanced

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2012
      We all have a predisposition to react either
      physically, emotionally, or intellectually.
      This makes us unbalanced, habitual, compulsive,
      and slave-like in our reactivity. A good
      Meditation teacher will be able to advise
      us how to recognize which of these characteristics
      is our most predominate and suggest ("prescribe")
      meditation techniques that help us gain control
      over our primary reactivity, and others that
      strengthen the other 2 aspects of our nature.
      The end result is being well balanced with Self
      knowledge and Self control. As an example, let's
      say that we are primarily reactive emotionally.
      Our meditative task would be to gain control over
      our emotional reactivity, and to strengthen our
      physical and intellectual awareness and reactions
      to the strength level of our emotions. This will
      leave us well balanced. So, for example, the
      emotionally reactive person, who is trying to get
      this reactivity under control, may do well to do
      meditation techniques that emphasize dispassion,
      while doing intellectual techniques like pondering
      the ancient formula of "I am not my body, I am not
      my mind, I am not my emotions", as well as doing
      physical awareness exercises such as the Zen tea
      ceremony.

      In some traditions, like the Sufi, or "4th way"
      of Gurdjieff, it is only the person who has achieved
      this balanced, Self controlled state who is able
      to act. Until that point is reached, the teaching
      is that we are merely in a robot-like dream state,
      and cannot "do" anything. And our life is just one
      reaction after another.

      Meditation is the methodology that shines the light
      of our inner Witness and wakes us up from our dream.