Buddha Teaches Meditation to Ananda

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2012
      Once Gautama Buddha was going to another village with
      his disciple Ananda. On the way they came across a small
      water stream but they did not stopped there and kept on moving.

      After around half an hour, Buddha sat down under a big tree
      and asked Ananda to bring some water from the water stream
      they have crossed few minutes ago. When Ananda reached the
      water stream, it was muddy and water was not looking clean.
      So Ananda came and reported to Buddha that water is not good
      for drinking. Its better to wait till we reach the next village.

      But Buddha insisted on drinking the water from the same
      water stream and he asked Ananda to wait at the stream till
      it water become clear again. So Ananda went there again.
      To his surprise water was looking more clean this time but
      was still little muddy. Nothing else to do, Ananda just sat
      there looking at the water. To his surprise, after some time
      mud had settled down to the bottom and water was for drinking again.

      Then Ananda suddenly realized that the first time when he
      was coming back to the stream, A bullock cart must have passed through the stream and all the mud has come on the surface
      of water, thus making it unclean. He came back and reported
      all this to Buddha.

      Buddha smiled and said this is the case with all of us.
      When any thought or emotion comes then we get identified
      with them and we become unconscious. But on the contrary,
      If we just witness these thoughts and feelings silently,
      with out doing any thing with them then they will affect us
      and will leave on their own.

      Our mind is that bullock cart which brings thoughts and
      emotions to cloud our consciousness and make us unconscious.
      A meditator just witness these thoughts and his consciousness
      always remains clean and undisturbed. But if we get identify
      with any emotion then we our consciousness become disturb
      and full of disturbance like that of the water stream.
      permission from the copyright owner.