Re: Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 9, 2012
      OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
      gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
      member and a friend of his have started to make knives
      and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
      to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
      unusually informative meditative experiences...
      IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
      yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
      that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
      attention where one's individual identity melts away and
      a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
      Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
      still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
      itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
      using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
      BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
      should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
      being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
      almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
      heat subside.
      Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
      wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
        Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
        meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
        for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
        this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
        Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
        http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
        There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
        about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
        destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
        these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
        evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
        Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
        the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
        "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
        and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
        someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
        their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
        control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
        how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
        So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
        BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
        http://www.bobroseknives.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
          Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
          the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
          accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
          Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
          people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
          be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
          reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
          other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
          small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

          In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
          discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
          mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
          perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
          like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
          meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
          "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

          I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
          words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
          there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
          in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
          just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
          As Gurdjieff put it...
          "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
          harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

          (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
          forum)