Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 7, 2012
      I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
      the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
      Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
      I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
      with several of our members there in past shows and
      look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
      venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
      serve beer!?!?!?
      Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
      for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
      the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
      They're so nice that one may not even notice the
      hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
      kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
      make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
      or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
      my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
      Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
      teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
      become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
      and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
      Hope to see you soon!
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 9, 2012
        OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
        gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
        member and a friend of his have started to make knives
        and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
        to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
        unusually informative meditative experiences...
        IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
        yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
        that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
        attention where one's individual identity melts away and
        a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
        Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
        still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
        itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
        using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
        BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
        should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
        being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
        almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
        heat subside.
        Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
        wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
          Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
          meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
          for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
          this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
          Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
          http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
          There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
          about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
          destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
          these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
          evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
          Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
          the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
          "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
          and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
          someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
          their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
          control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
          how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
          So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
          BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
          http://www.bobroseknives.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
            Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
            the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
            accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
            Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
            people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
            be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
            reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
            other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
            small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

            In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
            discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
            mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
            perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
            like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
            meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
            "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

            I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
            words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
            there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
            in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
            just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
            As Gurdjieff put it...
            "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
            harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

            (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
            forum)