Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Sep 1, 2012
      No End to Desires

      "If you create a small want in the mind,
      then when you are satisfied you say,
      `Oh I got it.' Once you fulfill it, you
      more or less erase that ripple, that
      impression, from the mind. So you get
      the balance again. If you try every time
      to adjust the mind by fulfilling its wants,
      there's no end. Even if you say, `Oh, this
      will be the last desire, the last thing I
      want and then no more,' how many hundreds
      of times would you have said that? You
      thought that by fulfilling your desires,
      by enjoying them, they can come to an end.
      It's something like adding more and more
      fuel, thinking you can put out the fire.
      Peace of mind cannot be found by giving into
      more and more desires. The more you enjoy
      them, the more you reconfirm and renew the desires.

      Inspiration Line

      Hear an inspiration message from Sri Swami Satchidananda
      by calling 434-WOW-GURU. New and improved software brings
      an even better sound quality and more reliable system.
      New message the first of each month. Call and be inspired
      any time and from anywhere you are.
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda