Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 193 , Sep 1, 2012
      No End to Desires

      "If you create a small want in the mind,
      then when you are satisfied you say,
      `Oh I got it.' Once you fulfill it, you
      more or less erase that ripple, that
      impression, from the mind. So you get
      the balance again. If you try every time
      to adjust the mind by fulfilling its wants,
      there's no end. Even if you say, `Oh, this
      will be the last desire, the last thing I
      want and then no more,' how many hundreds
      of times would you have said that? You
      thought that by fulfilling your desires,
      by enjoying them, they can come to an end.
      It's something like adding more and more
      fuel, thinking you can put out the fire.
      Peace of mind cannot be found by giving into
      more and more desires. The more you enjoy
      them, the more you reconfirm and renew the desires.

      Inspiration Line

      Hear an inspiration message from Sri Swami Satchidananda
      by calling 434-WOW-GURU. New and improved software brings
      an even better sound quality and more reliable system.
      New message the first of each month. Call and be inspired
      any time and from anywhere you are.
      Message 193 of 193 , Dec 25, 2014

        Question: I have a growing desire to see God. It has become the thing I want most. But no matter how much I long for Him, my worldly duties and needs get in the way. Can you help me?

        Sri Swami Satchidananda: How do you know that you have not seen Him? I heard Him saying, "I have been in front of this person so many times, but he never even recognized Me. He was calling, calling, calling for Me. So I went there many times, stood right in front of him, and he didn't even bother to look at Me. He just brushed Me aside and kept on saying, 'God, where are You? Where are You?'"

        Before you look for God, you should know what He looks like, or at least what God is. God has no particular form, but He appears in all forms and names. It is with His consciousness that I am saying all these things; and with His consciousness, you are listening. To simplify it, we say that God is all consciousness - superconsciousness, cosmic consciousness - or peace. God is already there in you as peace, but you disturb your peace by searching for God. Stop searching and disturbing your peace, and you will experience God. A disturbed mind can never understand God. Looking for God is not our first and foremost duty. Our first and foremost duty is to take care not to let the mind lose its peace. You don't have to make the mind peaceful. If you leave it alone, it is peaceful. In our own lives we should see that we don't lose our peace due to our thoughts, words, actions.

        Learn to remain undisturbed, unshakeable, as steady as the Rock of Gibraltar. You should treasure the peace of your mind so much that nothing, nothing, nothing would shake you. You should be ready to renounce anything and everything that is going to disturb your peace. Name, fame, money, power, position, relatives, friends - all should be secondary to maintaining your peace. Everything else is nothing compared to peace of mind. With that peace, you will easily see God.

        Om shant. Om shanti. Om shanti.