Re: The Gift of Insults

  • walto
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 17, 2012

      > – The same goes for envy, anger and insults – said the master.
      > "When they are not accepted, they continue to belong to the
      > one who carried them."

      That's nice. Thanks.

      The only thing I'd add is that with envy, anger and insults, even if they ARE accepted they continue to belong to the one who carried them.

    • Sean
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 19, 2012

        That is an exellent story, I myself sometimes suffer the sin of pride.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 19, 2012
          Yo Sean,
          Especially for someone like you; a "great Samurai,
          now getting older, who teaches truth to people",
          relative to the story and dispassion, the "sin"
          of pride is equal to the "sin" of shame. Both take
          your peace away. So, the wise warier sits, even if
          standing or walking, in the position of the Witness,
          in the Tao, serenely untouched and unaffected as
          the dualities of Maya float past. And lives happily
          ever after.

          >>Sean <bethjams9@...> wrote:

          >>That is an exellent story, I myself sometimes suffer the sin of pride.

          >medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          >The first step in Raja Yoga, the Yoga of Meditation,
          >is discrimination and dispassion. Discrimination refers
          >to knowing the eternal as opposed to the temporary, the
          >real verses the unreal, and so on. Dispassion is not being
          >cold or aloof to things and events, but rather not being
          >overly sad or happy, having equipoise, being in the
          >Tao rather than being either in the Yin or the Yang.
          >Paul Cello tells a great story that points to dispassion
          >being well demonstrated. Enjoy!
          >
          >The Gift of Insults
          >
          >Near Tokyo lived a great Samurai, now old, who decided
          >to teach Zen Buddhism to young people.
          >
          >One afternoon, a warrior – known for his complete lack
          >of scruples – arrived there. The young and impatient
          >warrior had never lost a fight. Hearing of the Samurai's
          >reputation, he had come to defeat him, and increase his fame.
          >
          >All the students were against the idea, but the old man
          >accepted the challenge.
          >
          >All gathered on the town square, and the young man
          >started insulting the old master. He threw a few rocks
          >in his direction, spat in his face, shouted every insult
          >under the sun – he even insulted his ancestors.
          >
          >For hours, he did everything to provoke him, but the old
          >man remained impassive. At the end of the afternoon, by now
          >feeling exhausted and humiliated, the impetuous warrior left.
          >
          >Disappointed by the fact that the master had received so
          >many insults and provocations, the students asked:
          >– How could you bear such indignity? Why didn't you use
          >your sword, even knowing you might lose the fight, instead of displaying your cowardice in front of us all?
          >
          >– If someone comes to you with a gift, and you do not
          >accept it, who does the gift belong to? – asked the Samurai.
          >– He who tried to deliver it – replied one of his disciples.
          >
          >– The same goes for envy, anger and insults – said the master.
          >"When they are not accepted, they continue to belong to the
          >one who carried them."

        • Sean
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 19, 2012

            A good example of the true meaning of attachment, thanks Bob

          • ddaccounting@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 20, 2012
              like it... thank you.

              Patricia Valle