The Gift of Insults

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012
      The first step in Raja Yoga, the Yoga of Meditation,
      is discrimination and dispassion. Discrimination refers
      to knowing the eternal as opposed to the temporary, the
      real verses the unreal, and so on. Dispassion is not being
      cold or aloof to things and events, but rather not being
      overly sad or happy, having equipoise, being in the
      Tao rather than being either in the Yin or the Yang.
      Paul Cello tells a great story that points to dispassion
      being well demonstrated. Enjoy!

      The Gift of Insults

      Near Tokyo lived a great Samurai, now old, who decided
      to teach Zen Buddhism to young people.

      One afternoon, a warrior – known for his complete lack
      of scruples – arrived there. The young and impatient
      warrior had never lost a fight. Hearing of the Samurai's
      reputation, he had come to defeat him, and increase his fame.

      All the students were against the idea, but the old man
      accepted the challenge.

      All gathered on the town square, and the young man
      started insulting the old master. He threw a few rocks
      in his direction, spat in his face, shouted every insult
      under the sun – he even insulted his ancestors.

      For hours, he did everything to provoke him, but the old
      man remained impassive. At the end of the afternoon, by now
      feeling exhausted and humiliated, the impetuous warrior left.

      Disappointed by the fact that the master had received so
      many insults and provocations, the students asked:
      – How could you bear such indignity? Why didn't you use
      your sword, even knowing you might lose the fight, instead of displaying your cowardice in front of us all?

      – If someone comes to you with a gift, and you do not
      accept it, who does the gift belong to? – asked the Samurai.
      – He who tried to deliver it – replied one of his disciples.

      – The same goes for envy, anger and insults – said the master.
      "When they are not accepted, they continue to belong to the
      one who carried them."
    • walto
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 17, 2012

        > – The same goes for envy, anger and insults – said the master.
        > "When they are not accepted, they continue to belong to the
        > one who carried them."

        That's nice. Thanks.

        The only thing I'd add is that with envy, anger and insults, even if they ARE accepted they continue to belong to the one who carried them.

      • Sean
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 19, 2012

          That is an exellent story, I myself sometimes suffer the sin of pride.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 19, 2012
            Yo Sean,
            Especially for someone like you; a "great Samurai,
            now getting older, who teaches truth to people",
            relative to the story and dispassion, the "sin"
            of pride is equal to the "sin" of shame. Both take
            your peace away. So, the wise warier sits, even if
            standing or walking, in the position of the Witness,
            in the Tao, serenely untouched and unaffected as
            the dualities of Maya float past. And lives happily
            ever after.

            >>Sean <bethjams9@...> wrote:

            >>That is an exellent story, I myself sometimes suffer the sin of pride.

            >medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            >The first step in Raja Yoga, the Yoga of Meditation,
            >is discrimination and dispassion. Discrimination refers
            >to knowing the eternal as opposed to the temporary, the
            >real verses the unreal, and so on. Dispassion is not being
            >cold or aloof to things and events, but rather not being
            >overly sad or happy, having equipoise, being in the
            >Tao rather than being either in the Yin or the Yang.
            >Paul Cello tells a great story that points to dispassion
            >being well demonstrated. Enjoy!
            >
            >The Gift of Insults
            >
            >Near Tokyo lived a great Samurai, now old, who decided
            >to teach Zen Buddhism to young people.
            >
            >One afternoon, a warrior – known for his complete lack
            >of scruples – arrived there. The young and impatient
            >warrior had never lost a fight. Hearing of the Samurai's
            >reputation, he had come to defeat him, and increase his fame.
            >
            >All the students were against the idea, but the old man
            >accepted the challenge.
            >
            >All gathered on the town square, and the young man
            >started insulting the old master. He threw a few rocks
            >in his direction, spat in his face, shouted every insult
            >under the sun – he even insulted his ancestors.
            >
            >For hours, he did everything to provoke him, but the old
            >man remained impassive. At the end of the afternoon, by now
            >feeling exhausted and humiliated, the impetuous warrior left.
            >
            >Disappointed by the fact that the master had received so
            >many insults and provocations, the students asked:
            >– How could you bear such indignity? Why didn't you use
            >your sword, even knowing you might lose the fight, instead of displaying your cowardice in front of us all?
            >
            >– If someone comes to you with a gift, and you do not
            >accept it, who does the gift belong to? – asked the Samurai.
            >– He who tried to deliver it – replied one of his disciples.
            >
            >– The same goes for envy, anger and insults – said the master.
            >"When they are not accepted, they continue to belong to the
            >one who carried them."

          • Sean
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 19, 2012

              A good example of the true meaning of attachment, thanks Bob

            • ddaccounting@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 20, 2012
                like it... thank you.

                Patricia Valle