Sri Ramana Maharshi on Fear

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2012
      Question : When I reach the thoughtless stage
      in my sadhana I enjoy a certain pleasure, but
      sometimes I also experience a vague fear which
      I cannot properly describe.
      Ramana Maharshi : You may experience anything,
      but you should never rest content with that.
      Whether you feel pleasure or fear, ask yourself
      who feels the pleasure or the fear and so carry
      on the sadhana until pleasure and fear are both
      transcended, till all duality ceases and till
      the reality alone remains.

      There is nothing wrong in such things happening
      or being experienced, but you must never stop at
      that. For instance, you must never rest content
      with the pleasure of laya (temporary abeyance of
      the mind) experienced when thought is quelled, you
      must press on until all duality ceases.

      Question : How does one get rid of fear ?
      Ramana Maharshi :What is fear ? It is only a thought.
      If there is anything besides the Self there is
      reason to fear. Who sees things separate from the
      Self ? First the ego arises and sees objects as
      external. If the ego does not rise, the Self alone
      exists and there is nothing external. For anything
      external to oneself implies the existence of the
      seer within. Seeking it there will eliminate doubt
      and fear. Not only fear, all other thoughts centered
      round the ego will disappear along with it.
      permission from the copyright owner.