Re: blackness while meditating

  • walto
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13, 2012
      Hi.

      As there is nothing intrinsically scary about darkness or blackness (after all, we have our eyes closed when we're asleep), my sense is that what your friend is experiencing is generalized anxiety. That is, he is not distracted by people, TV, etc., so anxiety sets in, and he experiences it as fear of darkness.

      I would suggest looking into types of meditation that might help him figure out what's bothering him. The type I often recommend is the "Thousand Petaled Lotus" which is in some ways similar to Freudian free-association. But it is also important to be relaxed. Most types of meditation are calming, but as he gets afraid when his eyes are closed, he might try focusing on a mandala.

      Good luck.