[Meditation Society of America] Re: blackness while meditating

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 12, 2012
      cris angel <cris528hz@...> wrote:

      > Hey Bob....is there a donation page for the Society ?

      Yo Cris,
      We have purposely never solicited donations,
      but do receive them. This usually comes via
      checks sent to the
      Meditation Society of America
      PO Box 126
      Wagontown PA 19326
      or via Paypal using medit8@...
      BUT... we have never had a desire to "go there" in any
      overt way via the forum (this is the 1st time this has
      ever been mentioned here) or by having any mention
      of donations on our site. If others do so, then fine
      and no problem, and if not, that's equally good.
      Our purpose is not to be a financial success. It is and
      will always be ... to freely offer ways people can evolve
      in consciousness.
      Thanks for your mentioning this as it shows a "thank you"
      and that itself is a great and generous donation.

      > On Aug 11, 2012 2:16 PM, "medit8ionsociety" <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > "dlonepilgrim" <dlonepilgrim@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi, I am new here. A friend who has started meditating about 2 years
      > > ago, came to me with a problem. Since I have never experienced this, I
      > > could not explain it or help him. May be someone here can throw some light
      > > on this.
      > > >
      > > > He seems to 'see' or experience absolute darkness or blackness while
      > > meditating, and gets frightened.He is not able to continue because of the
      > > fear.
      > > >
      > > > dlonepilgrim
      > > >
      > > Yes, it is not that uncommon to have an experience that is
      > > off-putting while meditating. There are lots of ways to deal
      > > with this like trying to face the fear or understand just "who"
      > > is being afraid, etc., but perhaps it would just be more
      > > beneficial to simply try a different technique than the one
      > > during which the "bad" experience took place. I suggest
      > > that your friend check out the methods found on the Archive
      > > section of our site http://www.meditationsociety.com/archive.html
      > > and if one or more seem to call to them, actually try to do it.
      > > There is light within and to erase any darkness, we just have
      > > to initiate an intention for it to shine. Meditation is the
      > > safest and most proven (en)lightening instrument.
      > > Peace and blessings,
      > > Bob

    • walto
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13, 2012
        Hi.

        As there is nothing intrinsically scary about darkness or blackness (after all, we have our eyes closed when we're asleep), my sense is that what your friend is experiencing is generalized anxiety. That is, he is not distracted by people, TV, etc., so anxiety sets in, and he experiences it as fear of darkness.

        I would suggest looking into types of meditation that might help him figure out what's bothering him. The type I often recommend is the "Thousand Petaled Lotus" which is in some ways similar to Freudian free-association. But it is also important to be relaxed. Most types of meditation are calming, but as he gets afraid when his eyes are closed, he might try focusing on a mandala.

        Good luck.