Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 200 , Aug 11, 2012
      The Inner Voice

      "We talk a lot, but the more we talk the more we
      miss someone talking from within. Mahatma Gandhi
      used to say that it is the Antaratma, the inner soul,
      the light within you, that guides you, that speaks
      to you always. But unfortunately, because we are too
      noisy, we seem to miss that guidance from within.
      In deep meditation we try to still the mind. You should
      not think that only by talking aloud, you are talking.
      Even without any audible sound, you can talk. The moment
      you think, you are talking. Every thought is a word.
      Thinking has its own form and it disturbs that stillness.
      By mere thinking you are talking internally and you
      could disturb that stillness, thus missing the talking
      of the inner voice or inner consciousness.

      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9 5:26 PM
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.