Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Aug 11, 2012
      The Inner Voice

      "We talk a lot, but the more we talk the more we
      miss someone talking from within. Mahatma Gandhi
      used to say that it is the Antaratma, the inner soul,
      the light within you, that guides you, that speaks
      to you always. But unfortunately, because we are too
      noisy, we seem to miss that guidance from within.
      In deep meditation we try to still the mind. You should
      not think that only by talking aloud, you are talking.
      Even without any audible sound, you can talk. The moment
      you think, you are talking. Every thought is a word.
      Thinking has its own form and it disturbs that stillness.
      By mere thinking you are talking internally and you
      could disturb that stillness, thus missing the talking
      of the inner voice or inner consciousness.

      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda