blackness while meditating

  • dlonepilgrim
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2012
      Hi, I am new here. A friend who has started meditating about 2 years ago, came to me with a problem. Since I have never experienced this, I could not explain it or help him. May be someone here can throw some light on this.

      He seems to 'see' or experience absolute darkness or blackness while meditating, and gets frightened.He is not able to continue because of the fear.

      dlonepilgrim
    • dhananjeyan manikka
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2012
        Dear sir

                    Just giving a sentence doing meditation "feeling darkness covered". The person has to spell out what type of meditation he is adopting. 2. Thepersons is using any mantra "some magic words" in his meditation. 3. The place where he is doing the meditation and other experience etc.

        Any way positively speaking darkness is nothing but the representation of "God Kali".
        In million year old grantha says every thing is started where a place covered by darkness of darkness. The basic needed quality of anybody doing meditation is fearless character.

        In science the quantum mechanic Heisenberg uncertainity principle and schordenger equation also indicate negative sea of energy nothing but explanation of darkness only.

        why are you afraiding by seeing a dark feeling . go head consult nearby person do it properly. what mistake identify don't get panic

        Thankyou
        dhan

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 11, 2012
          "dlonepilgrim" <dlonepilgrim@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I am new here. A friend who has started meditating about 2 years ago, came to me with a problem. Since I have never experienced this, I could not explain it or help him. May be someone here can throw some light on this.
          >
          > He seems to 'see' or experience absolute darkness or blackness while meditating, and gets frightened.He is not able to continue because of the fear.
          >
          > dlonepilgrim

          Yes, it is not that uncommon to have an experience that is
          off-putting while meditating. There are lots of ways to deal
          with this like trying to face the fear or understand just "who"
          is being afraid, etc., but perhaps it would just be more
          beneficial to simply try a different technique than the one
          during which the "bad" experience took place. I suggest
          that your friend check out the methods found on the Archive
          section of our site http://www.meditationsociety.com/archive.html
          and if one or more seem to call to them, actually try to do it.
          There is light within and to erase any darkness, we just have
          to initiate an intention for it to shine. Meditation is the
          safest and most proven (en)lightening instrument.
        • cris angel
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11, 2012

            Hey Bob....is there a donation page for the Society ?

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 12, 2012
              cris angel <cris528hz@...> wrote:

              > Hey Bob....is there a donation page for the Society ?

              Yo Cris,
              We have purposely never solicited donations,
              but do receive them. This usually comes via
              checks sent to the
              Meditation Society of America
              PO Box 126
              Wagontown PA 19326
              or via Paypal using medit8@...
              BUT... we have never had a desire to "go there" in any
              overt way via the forum (this is the 1st time this has
              ever been mentioned here) or by having any mention
              of donations on our site. If others do so, then fine
              and no problem, and if not, that's equally good.
              Our purpose is not to be a financial success. It is and
              will always be ... to freely offer ways people can evolve
              in consciousness.
              Thanks for your mentioning this as it shows a "thank you"
              and that itself is a great and generous donation.

              > On Aug 11, 2012 2:16 PM, "medit8ionsociety" <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > "dlonepilgrim" <dlonepilgrim@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi, I am new here. A friend who has started meditating about 2 years
              > > ago, came to me with a problem. Since I have never experienced this, I
              > > could not explain it or help him. May be someone here can throw some light
              > > on this.
              > > >
              > > > He seems to 'see' or experience absolute darkness or blackness while
              > > meditating, and gets frightened.He is not able to continue because of the
              > > fear.
              > > >
              > > > dlonepilgrim
              > > >
              > > Yes, it is not that uncommon to have an experience that is
              > > off-putting while meditating. There are lots of ways to deal
              > > with this like trying to face the fear or understand just "who"
              > > is being afraid, etc., but perhaps it would just be more
              > > beneficial to simply try a different technique than the one
              > > during which the "bad" experience took place. I suggest
              > > that your friend check out the methods found on the Archive
              > > section of our site http://www.meditationsociety.com/archive.html
              > > and if one or more seem to call to them, actually try to do it.
              > > There is light within and to erase any darkness, we just have
              > > to initiate an intention for it to shine. Meditation is the
              > > safest and most proven (en)lightening instrument.
              > > Peace and blessings,
              > > Bob

            • walto
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 13, 2012
                Hi.

                As there is nothing intrinsically scary about darkness or blackness (after all, we have our eyes closed when we're asleep), my sense is that what your friend is experiencing is generalized anxiety. That is, he is not distracted by people, TV, etc., so anxiety sets in, and he experiences it as fear of darkness.

                I would suggest looking into types of meditation that might help him figure out what's bothering him. The type I often recommend is the "Thousand Petaled Lotus" which is in some ways similar to Freudian free-association. But it is also important to be relaxed. Most types of meditation are calming, but as he gets afraid when his eyes are closed, he might try focusing on a mandala.

                Good luck.