Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Aug 4, 2012
      Mantra is a Mystic Word

      "The mind should dwell on a mantra and its vibrations
      so that it will not divert its attention to anything
      else. The more you repeat the mantra, the more you
      produce that sound vibration within you. After some
      time, even without your conscious repeating, you will
      be able to feel the vibration within. In other words,
      you can hear the sound of the mantra within you and
      that will be a sort of hold for you to get into the
      higher vibrations. That is why a mantra is a mystic
      word, which has its own special vibration and, by
      developing that vibration in you, you are developing
      a certain kind of wavelength and you will be able to
      attract that kind of wavelength from the cosmos.

      Hear monthly messages from Sri Swami Satchidananda
      on the Inspiration Line (434-WOW-GURU).
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda