The Real Mind

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2012
      "About this mind... In truth there is nothing really
      wrong with it. It is intrinsically pure. Within itself
      it's already peaceful. That the mind is not peaceful
      these days is because it follows moods. The real mind
      doesn't have anything to it, it is simply (an aspect of)
      Nature. It becomes peaceful or agitated because moods
      deceive it. The untrained mind is stupid. Sense impressions
      come and trick it into happiness, suffering, gladness
      and sorrow, but the mind's true nature is none of those
      things. That gladness or sadness is not the mind, but only
      a mood coming to deceive us. The untrained mind gets
      lost and follows these things, it forgets itself.
      Then we think that it is we who are upset or at ease
      or whatever.

      But really this mind of ours is already unmoving
      and peaceful... really peaceful! Just like a leaf
      which is still as long as no wind blows. If a wind
      comes up the leaf flutters. The fluttering is due to
      the wind -- the 'fluttering' is due to those sense
      impressions; the mind follows them. If it doesn't
      follow them, it doesn't 'flutter.' If we know fully
      the true nature of sense impressions we will be unmoved.

      Our practice is simply to see the Original Mind.
      So we must train the mind to know those sense impressions,
      and not get lost in them. To make it peaceful. Just
      this is the aim of all this difficult practice we put
      ourselves through."

      Venerable Ajahn Chah (Pra Bhodinyana Thera)
      permission from the copyright owner.
    • Aideen Mckenna
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2012

        Thank you!  Please let us have more from the Venerable Ajahn Chah.

        Aideen