Re: [Meditation Society of America] Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

  • ddaccounting@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 195 , Jul 23, 2012
      thank you

      Patricia Valle

      --- On Sat, 7/21/12, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      From: medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 8:17 PM

      A Divine Mind

      "A clean and controlled mind becomes a
      divine mind. It draws the entire capacity
      of the Self of the individual. The Self is
      the image of God. You are made in the image
      of the divine. That means we have God within
      us. In that case, we should have all the
      capacities of God, but we don't seem to
      because of the improper instrument through
      which the divine potentialities are to be
      expressed. The power is there, the light is
      there, but it's not expressing itself because
      of the enclosure. The mind and the body are
      such enclosures. Imagine there is a candle
      burning. If there is a dark smoky chimney
      placed around it, it will not allow the light
      to shine forth. Clean the smoke, and you will
      see some light. Clean the mind and you'll see the divine.

      Follow Swami Satchidananda on Twitter at
      twitter.com/SwSatchidananda for daily inspiration.

      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda