Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 193 , Jul 21, 2012
      A Divine Mind

      "A clean and controlled mind becomes a
      divine mind. It draws the entire capacity
      of the Self of the individual. The Self is
      the image of God. You are made in the image
      of the divine. That means we have God within
      us. In that case, we should have all the
      capacities of God, but we don't seem to
      because of the improper instrument through
      which the divine potentialities are to be
      expressed. The power is there, the light is
      there, but it's not expressing itself because
      of the enclosure. The mind and the body are
      such enclosures. Imagine there is a candle
      burning. If there is a dark smoky chimney
      placed around it, it will not allow the light
      to shine forth. Clean the smoke, and you will
      see some light. Clean the mind and you'll see the divine.

      Follow Swami Satchidananda on Twitter at
      twitter.com/SwSatchidananda for daily inspiration.
      Message 193 of 193 , Dec 25, 2014

        Question: I have a growing desire to see God. It has become the thing I want most. But no matter how much I long for Him, my worldly duties and needs get in the way. Can you help me?

        Sri Swami Satchidananda: How do you know that you have not seen Him? I heard Him saying, "I have been in front of this person so many times, but he never even recognized Me. He was calling, calling, calling for Me. So I went there many times, stood right in front of him, and he didn't even bother to look at Me. He just brushed Me aside and kept on saying, 'God, where are You? Where are You?'"

        Before you look for God, you should know what He looks like, or at least what God is. God has no particular form, but He appears in all forms and names. It is with His consciousness that I am saying all these things; and with His consciousness, you are listening. To simplify it, we say that God is all consciousness - superconsciousness, cosmic consciousness - or peace. God is already there in you as peace, but you disturb your peace by searching for God. Stop searching and disturbing your peace, and you will experience God. A disturbed mind can never understand God. Looking for God is not our first and foremost duty. Our first and foremost duty is to take care not to let the mind lose its peace. You don't have to make the mind peaceful. If you leave it alone, it is peaceful. In our own lives we should see that we don't lose our peace due to our thoughts, words, actions.

        Learn to remain undisturbed, unshakeable, as steady as the Rock of Gibraltar. You should treasure the peace of your mind so much that nothing, nothing, nothing would shake you. You should be ready to renounce anything and everything that is going to disturb your peace. Name, fame, money, power, position, relatives, friends - all should be secondary to maintaining your peace. Everything else is nothing compared to peace of mind. With that peace, you will easily see God.

        Om shant. Om shanti. Om shanti.