Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 201 , Jul 14, 2012
      Action without Selfishness

      "An action based on selfishness, with a personal
      motive, will always be an imperfect one. It is
      imperfect in the sense that it will disturb the
      person who performs that act, because the very
      expectation of the result disturbs his or her mind.
      The very attachment to the result of the action
      turns it into a selfish action. You want to achieve
      something, so you start to do something and you
      build up a tension. Even before you progress in
      what you are doing, tension is built up in the mind
      because there is a kind of attachment behind it:
      `I am doing this for my beloved and I have to see
      the result.' But if an action is done without any
      selfish motive, it can be done very easily with all
      tranquility of the mind.

      Follow Swami Satchidananda on Twitter at
      twitter.com/SwSatchidananda for daily inspiration.
      Message 201 of 201 , Jul 24
        "When even one virtue becomes our nature, the mind becomes clean and tranquil. Then there is no need to practice meditation; we will automatically be meditating always."
        Sri Gurudev Swami Satchidananda