Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Jul 14, 2012
      Action without Selfishness

      "An action based on selfishness, with a personal
      motive, will always be an imperfect one. It is
      imperfect in the sense that it will disturb the
      person who performs that act, because the very
      expectation of the result disturbs his or her mind.
      The very attachment to the result of the action
      turns it into a selfish action. You want to achieve
      something, so you start to do something and you
      build up a tension. Even before you progress in
      what you are doing, tension is built up in the mind
      because there is a kind of attachment behind it:
      `I am doing this for my beloved and I have to see
      the result.' But if an action is done without any
      selfish motive, it can be done very easily with all
      tranquility of the mind.

      Follow Swami Satchidananda on Twitter at
      twitter.com/SwSatchidananda for daily inspiration.
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda