Osho - How to Stop the Mad Mind

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2012
      Osho : There is a Sufi story...

      Junaid was going through the market-place of the
      town with his disciples. And it was his way to take
      any situation and use it. A man was dragging his
      cow by a rope, and Junaid said 'Wait' to the man,
      and told his disciples 'Surround this man and the cow.
      I am going to teach you something.'

      The man stopped – Junaid was a famous mystic – and
      he was also interested in what he was going to teach
      these disciples and how he was going to use him and
      the cow. And Junaid asked his disciples 'I ask you
      one thing: who is bound to whom? Is the cow bound to
      this man or is this man bound to this cow?' Of course,
      the disciples said 'The cow is bound to the man.
      The man is the master, he is holding the rope, the
      cow has to follow him wherever he goes. He is the
      master and the cow is the slave.'

      And Junaid said 'Now, see.' He took out his scissors
      and cut the rope – and the cow escaped.

      The man ran after the cow, and Junaid said 'Now look
      what is happening! Now you see who is the master; the
      cow is not interested at all in this man – in fact,
      she is escaping.' And the man was very angry, he said
      'What kind of experiment is this ?' But Junaid said
      to his disciples 'And this is the case with your mind.

      All the nonsense that you are carrying inside is not
      interested in you. You are interested in it, you are
      keeping it together somehow – you are becoming mad
      in keeping it together somehow. But you are interested
      IN it. The moment you lose interest, the moment you
      understand the futility of it, it will start disappearing;
      like the cow it will escape.'

      People come to me and ask 'How to stop this mad
      mind?' I say 'There is no need to stop, all that
      is needed is that you become disinterested in it
      and the rope is cut.' That is the meaning of sannyas:
      become disinterested in the mind. That is the meaning
      of real vairagya, detachment.

      It has nothing to do with renouncing the world, but
      it certainly has something to do with cutting the rope
      to the mind. Just become disinterested in the rubbish
      and slowly slowly you will see a gap arising. The cloud
      that used to surround you always is getting farther and
      farther away and, one day, suddenly it is no more there.

      And when you are left without mind, that is the state
      of spiritual perception, that is the state of darshan,
      that is the state when you can see, you have eyes;
      otherwise your eyes are so full of smoke you cannot see.

      Source: "The Sun Rises in the Evening" - Osho
      permission from the copyright owner.