Taming the Mind

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012
      This has to do with the importance of a basic
      attitude of friendliness. Sometimes when our
      thoughts are like little fleas that jump off our
      noses, we just see the little flickers of thought,
      like ripples, which might have a very liberating
      quality. For the first time you might feel, ---
      "My goodness! There's so much space, and it's always
      been here."

      Another time it might feel like that elephant is
      sitting on you, or like you have your own private
      pornographic movie going on, or your own private
      war, in technicolor and stereo. It's important to
      realize that meditation doesn't prefer the flea to
      the elephant, or vice versa. It is simply a process
      of seeing what is, noticing that, accepting that,
      and then going on with life, which, in terms of the
      technique, is coming back to the simplicity of nowness,
      the simplicity of the out-breath. Whether you are
      completely caught up in discursive thought for the
      entire sitting period, or whether you feel that enormous
      sense of space, you can regard either one with gentleness
      and a sense of being awake and alive to who you are.
      Either way, you can respect that. So taming teaches
      that meditation is developing a nonaggressive attitude
      to whatever occurs in your mind. It teaches that meditation
      is not considering yourself an obstacle to yourself;
      in fact, it's quite the opposite.

      By Pema Chodron in "The Wisdom of No Escape"
      permission from the copyright owner.
    • Aideen Mckenna
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012

        I so needed that!  Her teaching always gets me back on the cushion feeling better about my practice.

        Thank you,

        Aideen

      • ddaccounting@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
          Thank you, it is very reassuring. ... peace to you.

          Patricia Valle

          I so needed that!  Her teaching always gets me back on the cushion feeling better about my practice.

          Thank you,

          Aideen

          ="yiv949329669MsoNormal">