Proper Meditation Motivation

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2012
      From Mind Beyond Death by Dzogchen Ponlop

      "We should think about how we can make the best
      use of our practice so that we get the most out
      of it in the short time we have in this life.
      We do not have the leisure of wasting our time
      here by delaying the benefits of our practice.
      We have to use these situations as effectively as we can.

      Before you begin any practice, first think
      very carefully about your motivation. When we are
      engaged in the threefold process of study, contemplation
      and meditation, we should be very specific, very
      clear about why we are doing it. We should remind
      ourselves, "I am doing this to transcend my negative
      emotions and my ego-clinging." This is a general example
      of a specific intention. However, to be more precise,
      we need to consider the unique make-up of our own
      individual kleshas [intense states of suffering, and
      ignorance]. Once we have identified our strongest
      emotion, then we can focus on the practices that will
      alleviate it. We begin with whichever emotion is strongest
      for us and then we move on to the next strongest, followed
      by the next, and so on.

      It is important for us to prioritize our practice
      in this way. We have to keep our intention very clear
      in all three phases--in our study, in our contemplation
      and in our meditation. During shamatha (single pointed
      meditation) or other practices, when thoughts come up,
      we recall that our purpose is to overcome our disturbing
      emotions and kleshas. We have to have a sense of willpower
      or determination in our minds. In order for the remedy
      to work, we must tell ourselves, "Yes, I am going to
      transcend this anger. I am going to work with it."
      Otherwise, if we do not have a clear idea, if we simply
      sit there with an indefinite or vague intention, then
      the effect also will be vague. We may have sat for one
      hour and although that time will not have been wasted,
      because it was not directed in an intentional way,
      the experience will not be so sharp, to the point or
      effective."
      permission from the copyright owner.