Re: iss ue withthe basic concept of breathe

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2012
      "candace_day@..." <candace_day@...> wrote:

      > It seems when i breathe in and out i dony feel my body relaxing when i breathe i either go from pelvis , stomach or diagraphm i do at least about 20 breathes is this common for beginners or. Whats does this mean

      Yes, it is common for there to be distractions when
      you start to meditate. They may come physically, mentally,
      emotionally or just as a semi-uncomfortable energy. But
      however it presents, it takes your attention away from your
      intended meditation focus. That could be a "holy" word or
      object, the repeating of a word or phrase, your bodily
      sensations, emotional feelings, watching your thoughts flow
      by, or many other things. This is where "practice makes
      perfect" comes into play (and I do mean it play!). Here's
      a technique that helps you get used to focusing on your breath
      while progressively gaining more and more comfort with
      your breath and increases your ability to maintain one-pointedness.
      Enjoy!
      108 - An Easy Hard Meditation Technique

      Anything in life that brings you closer to inner peace
      can be said to be "good". Anything that takes your
      peace away is "bad". Of course, it is a given that
      anything that only brings you momentary peace, like
      drugs, is not good. To really qualify, the peace must
      be everlasting. Very often, good, and thus peace,
      doesn't come easily. For instance, politically and
      historically, it has often taken a war to bring about
      a lasting peace between enemies. An example of this
      can be found in the relationships between America,
      Japan, Russia, and Germany. Deadly enemies during
      World War II, and now close partners involved in mutual
      progress and at peace.

      Within ourselves there is a similar inner world
      war-like interaction going on between the mind,
      body, and emotions that prevents us from knowing
      real peace. As the events in our life take place,
      we react mentally, physically, and emotionally,
      sometimes more one way and at other times more in
      another. This slave-like reactivity makes our life
      seem out of control, bouncing back and forth between
      joy and sorrow, and without lasting peace. This
      anxiety and conflict filled state can be witnessed
      by an inner awareness that is our Real Self. This
      Witness to our life has always been there/here, silent,
      non-labeling, non-commenting, non-judging, and is present now.

      As you are reading these words, your Witness is aware
      of your mind's mentations, your body's sensations,
      and your emotion's feelings. If your inner chattering
      stops rambling on, you can sit back in your mind's
      eye and Witness your body/ego's reactions. It is at
      a moment when this occurs that what has been called
      your higher intuitive center kicks in and you will
      know, with a gut feeling, just what to do. You will
      then be able to witness your mind, body, and emotions
      act, and either cease the reactivity that has taken
      away your peace, or start to do that which will bring
      about peace in your life.

      For instance, you may have been banging your head
      against the wall for years, even though this caused
      you to suffer terribly. Your friends may have told
      you countless times that your life would be more peaceful
      if you would just stop doing this foolish activity.
      But, you never listened, or perhaps justified it as
      worth continuing with for some silly and illogical
      reason such as that it felt so good when you stopped.
      Witness yourself now. Did you just see yourself laugh,
      or react in a "Yep! That's me!" embarrassment? Did
      your mind get angry and defensive and deny that this
      concept could apply to you? Are you witnessing now? And now?

      Just as it is unlikely that you would continue to
      keep banging your head against the wall once you
      really recognized that you were doing it, once you
      witness yourself reacting to life's events inappropriately
      (in a way that steals your peace away from you), you
      will stop doing it and thus allow peace to fill and
      stay with you. The 108 Meditation technique is one of
      the best at letting you witness your mind's activity.

      Relax yourself in the way you have found best prepares
      you for meditating. Focus your attention on your breath.
      Observe and feel air come into the body, stay, and
      leave the body. Silently say "One". Do it again and
      say "Two". On and on up to 108. This seems to be very
      easy to do, but don't be surprised, when you first try
      this inner exercise, if you can't concentrate well
      enough to get all the way up to 108 without being
      distracted by your thoughts, physical sensations, or
      emotions. Your mind has been your master and you have
      been it's slave your whole life, and it's not going to
      let you be in charge without giving you a very hard
      battle for control. Your mind has caused you to fritter
      away your most of your life rehashing the past and
      fantasizing about the future and will rebel if you try
      to live and control your life as it takes place.

      Your breath always occurs in the present moment. Thus,
      if you are paying attention to your breath, you have
      the potential of experiencing reality, for it too can
      only occur now, in the present. Inner peace is not
      something for the past or the future. It is available
      and present now. We just must stop being distracted
      from it. When we do this technique, and we watch our
      mind take us away from the object of our meditation,
      our breath, we must not scold ourselves. If we see that
      we are concentrating very well, we must not get too
      overjoyed. Both extremes are distractions.

      What is especially wonderful about this technique is
      that you can become aware of what causes your distraction
      as well as what happens as a result of your distraction.
      For instance, you may find that if you try to do this
      with your eyes open, something may catch your eye and
      you will start thinking about it. But, this is not
      necessarily bad because you may then have learned that
      it is easier to do this technique with your eyes shut
      and that this does bring more peace into your life. So,
      in a way, you may gain greater insight from "failing"
      at maintaining your concentration than from paying attention.

      Another benefit that this method gives us is that we
      can gauge our progress over time. For instance, when
      you first try it, you may only get up to the number
      12 before your mind's chattering, or your body's twitching,
      or your emotion's swings distract you. Then, perhaps
      a week later, you may find that you are able to maintain
      your attention up to 48. A 400% improvement!

      Eventually, you will be able to silently witness your
      mind obediently accomplishing the task you have assigned
      it and you will get to 108 successfully. It will be then
      that you can be considered the master, and your mind,
      body, and emotions, the slaves. They then can be used
      as valuable tools that will help you attain the consistent
      inner peace that you have been seeking. Easily!

      Perhaps the greatest asset this technique offers is
      that you will become more and more aware of, and
      start identifying with, the Witness within - the pure,
      blissful, serene consciousness that is your Real Self.
      You will then need no tools, techniques, or concepts,
      and will live happily ever after.