iss ue withthe basic concept of breathe

  • candace_day@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19 9:48 PM
      It seems when i breathe in and out i dony feel my body relaxing when i breathe i either go from pelvis , stomach or diagraphm i do at least about 20 breathes is this common for beginners or. Whats does this mean
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 21 5:46 PM
        "candace_day@..." <candace_day@...> wrote:

        > It seems when i breathe in and out i dony feel my body relaxing when i breathe i either go from pelvis , stomach or diagraphm i do at least about 20 breathes is this common for beginners or. Whats does this mean

        Yes, it is common for there to be distractions when
        you start to meditate. They may come physically, mentally,
        emotionally or just as a semi-uncomfortable energy. But
        however it presents, it takes your attention away from your
        intended meditation focus. That could be a "holy" word or
        object, the repeating of a word or phrase, your bodily
        sensations, emotional feelings, watching your thoughts flow
        by, or many other things. This is where "practice makes
        perfect" comes into play (and I do mean it play!). Here's
        a technique that helps you get used to focusing on your breath
        while progressively gaining more and more comfort with
        your breath and increases your ability to maintain one-pointedness.
        Enjoy!
        108 - An Easy Hard Meditation Technique

        Anything in life that brings you closer to inner peace
        can be said to be "good". Anything that takes your
        peace away is "bad". Of course, it is a given that
        anything that only brings you momentary peace, like
        drugs, is not good. To really qualify, the peace must
        be everlasting. Very often, good, and thus peace,
        doesn't come easily. For instance, politically and
        historically, it has often taken a war to bring about
        a lasting peace between enemies. An example of this
        can be found in the relationships between America,
        Japan, Russia, and Germany. Deadly enemies during
        World War II, and now close partners involved in mutual
        progress and at peace.

        Within ourselves there is a similar inner world
        war-like interaction going on between the mind,
        body, and emotions that prevents us from knowing
        real peace. As the events in our life take place,
        we react mentally, physically, and emotionally,
        sometimes more one way and at other times more in
        another. This slave-like reactivity makes our life
        seem out of control, bouncing back and forth between
        joy and sorrow, and without lasting peace. This
        anxiety and conflict filled state can be witnessed
        by an inner awareness that is our Real Self. This
        Witness to our life has always been there/here, silent,
        non-labeling, non-commenting, non-judging, and is present now.

        As you are reading these words, your Witness is aware
        of your mind's mentations, your body's sensations,
        and your emotion's feelings. If your inner chattering
        stops rambling on, you can sit back in your mind's
        eye and Witness your body/ego's reactions. It is at
        a moment when this occurs that what has been called
        your higher intuitive center kicks in and you will
        know, with a gut feeling, just what to do. You will
        then be able to witness your mind, body, and emotions
        act, and either cease the reactivity that has taken
        away your peace, or start to do that which will bring
        about peace in your life.

        For instance, you may have been banging your head
        against the wall for years, even though this caused
        you to suffer terribly. Your friends may have told
        you countless times that your life would be more peaceful
        if you would just stop doing this foolish activity.
        But, you never listened, or perhaps justified it as
        worth continuing with for some silly and illogical
        reason such as that it felt so good when you stopped.
        Witness yourself now. Did you just see yourself laugh,
        or react in a "Yep! That's me!" embarrassment? Did
        your mind get angry and defensive and deny that this
        concept could apply to you? Are you witnessing now? And now?

        Just as it is unlikely that you would continue to
        keep banging your head against the wall once you
        really recognized that you were doing it, once you
        witness yourself reacting to life's events inappropriately
        (in a way that steals your peace away from you), you
        will stop doing it and thus allow peace to fill and
        stay with you. The 108 Meditation technique is one of
        the best at letting you witness your mind's activity.

        Relax yourself in the way you have found best prepares
        you for meditating. Focus your attention on your breath.
        Observe and feel air come into the body, stay, and
        leave the body. Silently say "One". Do it again and
        say "Two". On and on up to 108. This seems to be very
        easy to do, but don't be surprised, when you first try
        this inner exercise, if you can't concentrate well
        enough to get all the way up to 108 without being
        distracted by your thoughts, physical sensations, or
        emotions. Your mind has been your master and you have
        been it's slave your whole life, and it's not going to
        let you be in charge without giving you a very hard
        battle for control. Your mind has caused you to fritter
        away your most of your life rehashing the past and
        fantasizing about the future and will rebel if you try
        to live and control your life as it takes place.

        Your breath always occurs in the present moment. Thus,
        if you are paying attention to your breath, you have
        the potential of experiencing reality, for it too can
        only occur now, in the present. Inner peace is not
        something for the past or the future. It is available
        and present now. We just must stop being distracted
        from it. When we do this technique, and we watch our
        mind take us away from the object of our meditation,
        our breath, we must not scold ourselves. If we see that
        we are concentrating very well, we must not get too
        overjoyed. Both extremes are distractions.

        What is especially wonderful about this technique is
        that you can become aware of what causes your distraction
        as well as what happens as a result of your distraction.
        For instance, you may find that if you try to do this
        with your eyes open, something may catch your eye and
        you will start thinking about it. But, this is not
        necessarily bad because you may then have learned that
        it is easier to do this technique with your eyes shut
        and that this does bring more peace into your life. So,
        in a way, you may gain greater insight from "failing"
        at maintaining your concentration than from paying attention.

        Another benefit that this method gives us is that we
        can gauge our progress over time. For instance, when
        you first try it, you may only get up to the number
        12 before your mind's chattering, or your body's twitching,
        or your emotion's swings distract you. Then, perhaps
        a week later, you may find that you are able to maintain
        your attention up to 48. A 400% improvement!

        Eventually, you will be able to silently witness your
        mind obediently accomplishing the task you have assigned
        it and you will get to 108 successfully. It will be then
        that you can be considered the master, and your mind,
        body, and emotions, the slaves. They then can be used
        as valuable tools that will help you attain the consistent
        inner peace that you have been seeking. Easily!

        Perhaps the greatest asset this technique offers is
        that you will become more and more aware of, and
        start identifying with, the Witness within - the pure,
        blissful, serene consciousness that is your Real Self.
        You will then need no tools, techniques, or concepts,
        and will live happily ever after.