Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Jun 2, 2012
      Find Peace Within

      "There's a saying in English, `Necessity is the
      mother of invention.' This saying wakes us. It makes
      us think, `How can I handle this situation?' We bring
      forth the energy and the knowledge from within.
      It's there, stored, but unless there's! the need,
      we don't even know that it's there. Maybe you're
      searching for the truth, trying to understand the
      meaning of life and seeking answers. You never
      realize that while you're running around looking
      outside, it's all inside. Imagine that you're in
      a dark room using a flashlight and wondering where
      You search all over the house with the help of what?
      With the help of the flashlight. Ultimately, you'll
      realize that what you've been looking for is already
      there in you as you: `I am that Supreme Peace, Supreme Bliss.'

      Follow Swami Satchidananda on Twitter at
      twitter.com/SwSatchidananda for daily inspiration.
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda