Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 193 , Jun 2, 2012
      Find Peace Within

      "There's a saying in English, `Necessity is the
      mother of invention.' This saying wakes us. It makes
      us think, `How can I handle this situation?' We bring
      forth the energy and the knowledge from within.
      It's there, stored, but unless there's! the need,
      we don't even know that it's there. Maybe you're
      searching for the truth, trying to understand the
      meaning of life and seeking answers. You never
      realize that while you're running around looking
      outside, it's all inside. Imagine that you're in
      a dark room using a flashlight and wondering where
      You search all over the house with the help of what?
      With the help of the flashlight. Ultimately, you'll
      realize that what you've been looking for is already
      there in you as you: `I am that Supreme Peace, Supreme Bliss.'

      Follow Swami Satchidananda on Twitter at
      twitter.com/SwSatchidananda for daily inspiration.
      Message 193 of 193 , Dec 25, 2014

        Question: I have a growing desire to see God. It has become the thing I want most. But no matter how much I long for Him, my worldly duties and needs get in the way. Can you help me?

        Sri Swami Satchidananda: How do you know that you have not seen Him? I heard Him saying, "I have been in front of this person so many times, but he never even recognized Me. He was calling, calling, calling for Me. So I went there many times, stood right in front of him, and he didn't even bother to look at Me. He just brushed Me aside and kept on saying, 'God, where are You? Where are You?'"

        Before you look for God, you should know what He looks like, or at least what God is. God has no particular form, but He appears in all forms and names. It is with His consciousness that I am saying all these things; and with His consciousness, you are listening. To simplify it, we say that God is all consciousness - superconsciousness, cosmic consciousness - or peace. God is already there in you as peace, but you disturb your peace by searching for God. Stop searching and disturbing your peace, and you will experience God. A disturbed mind can never understand God. Looking for God is not our first and foremost duty. Our first and foremost duty is to take care not to let the mind lose its peace. You don't have to make the mind peaceful. If you leave it alone, it is peaceful. In our own lives we should see that we don't lose our peace due to our thoughts, words, actions.

        Learn to remain undisturbed, unshakeable, as steady as the Rock of Gibraltar. You should treasure the peace of your mind so much that nothing, nothing, nothing would shake you. You should be ready to renounce anything and everything that is going to disturb your peace. Name, fame, money, power, position, relatives, friends - all should be secondary to maintaining your peace. Everything else is nothing compared to peace of mind. With that peace, you will easily see God.

        Om shant. Om shanti. Om shanti.