Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , May 4, 2012
      Once again, I'll be displaying my knives at a gun
      show this weekend. It's at the Philly Convention Center
      in Oaks PA. Here's the URL for info.
      http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html
      The last show we were at was one of the "highest" ones we've
      attended. We had the pleasure of sharing meditation concepts
      and techniques with several of our members who were there,
      and it was a very nice experiential demo of transcending
      what would normally be a semi-insane environment. Fun too!

      One of the surprises was when we got to interact with a
      great 11 year old kid who's father is one of the real
      masters of martial arts. This guy is so tough he wears
      a kilt to a gun show and nobody would dream of making fun
      of him. And yet he has a wisdom and righteousness that is
      all too rare. Glad to say that his son seems to be going
      right along the same path.

      Anyway, if you're in the area, please stop by and say hello.
      If you'd like to see some of the newest knives I've made,
      and that will be on display, they're at the bottom of the
      web page here: http://www.bobroseknives.com

      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 7, 2012
        I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
        the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
        Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
        I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
        with several of our members there in past shows and
        look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
        venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
        serve beer!?!?!?
        Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
        for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
        the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
        They're so nice that one may not even notice the
        hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
        kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
        make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
        or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
        my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
        Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
        teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
        become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
        and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
        Hope to see you soon!
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 9, 2012
          OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
          gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
          member and a friend of his have started to make knives
          and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
          to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
          unusually informative meditative experiences...
          IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
          yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
          that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
          attention where one's individual identity melts away and
          a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
          Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
          still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
          itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
          using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
          BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
          should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
          being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
          almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
          heat subside.
          Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
          wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
            Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
            meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
            for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
            this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
            Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
            http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
            There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
            about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
            destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
            these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
            evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
            Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
            the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
            "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
            and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
            someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
            their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
            control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
            how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
            So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
            BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
            http://www.bobroseknives.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
              Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
              the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
              accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
              Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
              people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
              be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
              reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
              other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
              small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

              In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
              discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
              mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
              perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
              like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
              meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
              "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

              I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
              words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
              there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
              in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
              just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
              As Gurdjieff put it...
              "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
              harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

              (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
              forum)