A "How To" of Zen, Meditation, Seeking Enlightenment, etc

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2012
      What kind of master is it that this very moment
      sees colors with the eyes and hears voices with
      the ears, that now raises the hands and moves the
      feet? We know these are functions of our own mind,
      but no one knows precisely how they are performed.
      It may be asserted that behind these actions there
      is no entity, yet it is obvious they are being
      performed spontaneously. Conversely, it may be
      maintained that these are the acts of some entity;
      still the entity is invisible. If one regards this
      question as unfathomable, all attempts to reason
      [out an answer] will cease and one will be at a
      loss to know what to do. In this propitious state
      deepen and deepen the yearning, tirelessly, to the
      extreme. When the profound questioning penetrates
      to the very bottom, and that bottom is broken open,
      not the slightest doubt will remain that your own
      Mind is itself Buddha, the Void-universe. There will
      then be no anxiety about life or death, no truth
      to search for.

      Bassui Tokusho Zenji (1327–1387)
      permission from the copyright owner.